January 1, 2017

Reading Challenge 2017


So, 2017 is officially here and it's time to set the new reading challenge! I fell short on the 2016 Reading Challenge, but this year I'm determined to make it! The 6 weeks break that I took in August-September was crucial to the challenge results. But I really enjoyed the challenge itself, so for the 2017 reading challenge I'm going to keep more or less the same categories. 

So, in 2017 I will read:
  1. a novel from Europe: Pnin, by Vladimir Nabokov
  2. a novel from Middle East: Arabian Nights and Days, by Naguib Mahfouz
  3. a novel from East AsiaThe Life of a Stupid Man, by Ryunosuke Akutagawa
  4. a novel from North America: The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood
  5. a novel from South America: Havana Is Waiting and Other Plays, by Eduardo Machado
  6. a novel from Oceania
  7. a novel from Africa
  8. a novel that won the Man Booker Prize
  9. a novel than won the Pulitzer Prize
  10. a novel written by a Nobel Prize recipient
  11. a playHavana Is Waiting and Other Plays, by Eduardo Machado
  12. a book of poetry: Ariel, by Sylvia Plath
  13. a collection of short stories: Norse Mythology, by Neil Gaiman
  14. a manga: Hirunaka no Ryuusei (Daytime Shooting Star), by Mika Yamamori (12 Volumes)
  15. a superhero comic: Watchmen, by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
  16. a non-superhero comic: The Stranger, by Albert Camus, Jacques Ferrandez
  17. a classic: Ethan Frome, by Edith Wharton
  18. a non-fiction book
  19. a memoir/biography: Letters to Milena, by Franz Kafka
  20. a self-published book: The Nobel Prize, by Mois Benarroch


This is it! It's quite staight-forward and manageable. This year I'm going to make it!

But I like challenges and this year I'm adding an extra challenge. This one will be more genre driven and it will be monthly. So a book that I will read every month must be of the genre or theme that I will specify here.
  1. January: HistoricalArabian Nights and Days, by Naguib Mahfouz
  2. February: Romance: Secrets of a Summer Night, by Lisa Kleypas
  3. March: Horror: Heart-Shaped Box, by Joe Hill
  4. April: HumourPnin, by Vladimir Nabokov
  5. May: Coming of Age: The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath
  6. June: Chick-Lit: Cinderella Screwed Me Over, by Cindi Madsen
  7. July: Time Travel
  8. August: Mystery
  9. September: Magical Realism
  10. October: Epic Fantasy
  11. November: Western
  12. December: Streampunk
I believe that these too challenges can be easily combined. I hope you'll be tempted to join me!

Happy reading 2017! 

6 comments:

  1. I think the two challenges could be combined some months too! How fun! I do like to read outside my "comfort zone" so to speak sometimes. :)

    Happy Blogoversary,

    Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly what I'm aiming for! Read outside my comfort zone :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck! It looks like you'll be reading a lot of diverse books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might sound a bit chiche but you really do see the world under a different light when you read more diversely. In the past months I read a novel from Japan, then a book from Mexico, and now I'm currently reading one from Egypt. The writing styles are all different, the cultures different, and I feel like I'm learning a lot :)

      Delete
  3. Oh good luck, those sound like 2 nice challenges to do.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)