March 26, 2016

Weeckies: My Purple Scented Novel by Ian MacEwan



Hello, everybody! This week's short story is My Purple Scented Novel by Ian MacEwan. You can read it at The New Yorker. There is also an audio version of the story there, narrated by the author himself. Enjoy!


Ian MacEwan is one of the authors that I follow closely. So, I was overjoyed to find out this short story just a few days ago. My Purple Scented Novel tells the story of two writers, who were friends since their college days. Both of them want to serve literature, but suddenly one of them writes a script for the television and so it becomes easier for him to succeed. Long story short, the writer that remains unknown causes the destruction of his friend's reputation without ever acknowledging the truth.This narration of the events might easily be considered as his confession, but there is not a single thing in the whole text that indicates that he is regretting his actions, or at least that he has the need for redemption.

Generally, the story of My Purple Scented Novel is  a hit or miss, you'll either love it, or you'll hate it. The morality of the main character is at the best case questionable and what makes it worse is that he lets his friend nurture his own theory why this thing happened the way it did. Although this character isn't a nice one, the narration is so much grabbing that I didn't even notice when I reached the end. I highly recommend My Purple Scented Novel, it's a great investigation of the human character.


Have you read My Purple Scented Novel? Would you forgive the actions of the main character?
Which is your favourite Ian MacEwan novel?

4 comments:

  1. I put down Ian MacEwan's Atonement a couple of months ago because I wasn't really feeling it and I've been hesitant about picking up more of MacEwan's work, despite the amount of praise that it has garnered. I think I'll try out My Purple Scented Novel, though, because it's shorter and it seems to be my cup of tea.

    Thanks for the honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely loved Atonement! I've cried my eyes out at the end of it..But a short story is always an easier way to get to know an author. If you read it let me know what you think :)

      Delete
  2. Thoughtful blog thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)