November 9, 2015

The Reading Book Post, November 9th


Hello, everyone! So, I've finally moved to another city and everything is so new to me! I got a cold, though, as soon as I got here. Anyway, last week The Reading Armchair officially got a Facebook page, so you can like it. In the meantime, let's see what happened in the literary world the previous week.

  • So, this week a lot of prizes were announced. First of all, Kerry Hudson has won the French Prix Femina for translated fiction, for her second novel Thirst. Also, Jacqueline Wilson was awarded the JM Barrie award for a lifetime of unforgettable writing for children. The Samuel Johnson Prize for Non-fiction 2015 was given to Steve Silberman for his book Neurotribes: The Legacy of Autism and how to Think Smarter About People who Think Differently. Another French Award, the Prix Goncourt, was given to Matthias Énard for his novel Zone. Roxane Gay won the PEN freedom to write award. Lastly, the 2015 World Fantasy Awards were announced. Among the winners is David Mitchell for his novel The Bone Clocks.  

  • Read an excerpt from Tommy Wallach's upcoming novel Thanks for the Trouble. The novel is due on February 23, 2016. You can also read an excerpt from Supernova the new novel by C.A. Higgins. Supernova will be a prequel to Lightless and it will be published on July 26, 2016.

  • There is a Harry Potter colouring book and it's completely amazing! Just take a look! It's been published tomorrow, so grab your pens everybody!

  • The word of the year 2015, according to Collin's dictionary is binge-watch, which is essentially defined as "to watch a large number of television programs in succession". I bet we all know the meaning of this word (especially when it comes to anime, for me).

  • I think I've found the next destination I want to travel to! Where? Tokyo, Japan. Conveniently, this amazing hostel opens this month and I'm impressed. What a wonderful environment!


  • Eoin Colfer has made a deal with Marvel to write a new Iron Man novel. The young adult novel is due on the autumn of 2016.

  • Amazon has opened its first actual bookstore. It's located in Seattle, Washington. The prices of the books will be the same as they can be found online and also customers will be able to try out products like Amazon Kindle etc.

  • Remember a while back that I shared with a link for a vending machine which would give random used books? Well, it turns out that there is another vending machine, but in this one you can get short stories. Why isn't something like that here?

  • Which Fictional City Should You Live In? Take the quiz to find out! I got Pawnee, Indiana. Which one did you get?  

6 comments:

  1. I NEED to get my hands on the Harry Potter colouring book. The pictures look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting how Amazon decided to sell physical books. I think they see their advantage over other booksellers as to what books have high ratings in Amazon reviews. Or maybe the market for physical books is still huge relative to e-copies.

    Jennilyn @ RurouniJenniReads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is. I guess they realized that physical books are a huge deal :)

      Delete
  3. I got Pawnee as well! I love Parks and Recs, so I'm happy haha. I am such a fan of the vending machine idea!!! I heard about binge-watch being added to the dictionary, haha we're definitely all guilty of doing it from time to time :P

    Hope you have been settling well in the new city! :)

    Raashi
    http://raashiagarwal.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Hahaha, I might even binge-watch later tonight :D

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)